Flight Model/trim/flap/attitude?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jetjerry

jetjerry

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

I just purchased your MD-87. I have perhaps every DC9/MD80/B717 made for FSX.
I am also a real world retired pilot with many hours in DC9 etc jets and others.

I am amazed that with all these DC9 derivatives made for FSX, that nobody seems to get it right, except one that is getting so old now that it has become a pain to get it to work
correctly too...some times.

It seems to me we have an influx of very good graphic designers (like CLS) that know little or nothing about aeronautics, and don't take the time
to find out or ask /employ others that do know. I am sorry to take it out on you guys, but the list does seem to be growing.

*The elevator control settings you used are ridiculous. It leaves one with almost no elevator manual control at all. What little control there is, when used, drives things long after you wanted the input. This makes a manual approach and flare almost impossible.
**The flap travel time is too long as well. I assume again to make up for a bad air.file.
***The pitch on approach at Vref is too nose high.
****The lift-off speed is too low even with the trim full forward but still in the green.

I see too that these problems were noted by "Mendota" on 9 Aug, 2010 for the MD-81 series.

I know we give our money over the internet, and seldom see release problems fixed anymore, and I for one am getting a little tired of it. I'm not just blaming CLS, for there are many using this philosophy to building flightsim products. Am I to assume that since you've known about these issues since Aug, 2010 that they are not to be fixed?

I can't be the only one out there in flightsim land that is starting to feel this way!

The MD-87 looks great! Now if only it would fly well too, you'd have a winner.

Jerry

#2 Albert_Bouwman

Albert_Bouwman

StarCaptain

• Root Admin
  • 6368 posts
  • Interests:Aviation

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Our own test pilots did confirm the FDE. The first few hours of the release appeared to have a corrupted flight dynamics file, you might want to try to reinstall the product and see if it makes a difference for you.
Cheers,

Albert Bouwman
Commercial Level Simulations
Posted Image

#3 jetjerry

jetjerry

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

I did as you suggested and uninstalled the MD-87 and then reinstalled it with a new download of the file (from "Just Flight").
I have now test flown the airplane using the new file 3 times and have found no improvement in manual control.
The conditions listed above seem to remain. It's flight characteristics are extremely poor when trying to fly manually.

Any ideas?

Jerry

#4 Albert_Bouwman

Albert_Bouwman

StarCaptain

• Root Admin
  • 6368 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

No further ideas here sorry. Try contacting Just Flight.
Cheers,

Albert Bouwman
Posted Image

#5 jetjerry

jetjerry

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

I thought I posted earlier today. Did you delete my post?

What I wished to say was simply that: "your comments prove my point".

Jerry

#6 Albert_Bouwman

Albert_Bouwman

StarCaptain

• Root Admin
  • 6368 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

We still keep it up to date. You may not agree with the flight dynamics, but in our opinion (as all our testers), these are very good. Surely, a flight dynamics designer who also creates FAA approved flight training devices knows what he is doing. You can tweak the FDE if you wish, for yourself only of course. You are free to make any changes which in your opinion improves the flight dynamics.
Cheers,

Albert Bouwman
Posted Image

#7 jetjerry

jetjerry

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

I just changed the "Flight Tuning - Elevator effectiveness" to a higher number and that helped a lot.

Another problem I have is the deck angle is 4-5 degrees below horizon at Vref (or even Vref-10). It should be the opposite...a plus 3-5 degrees.

Question: what & how do I change in the config.file to achieve this?

*The short fuselage DC9 series aircraft are a joy to fly. They handle like a sports care...a real pilot's airplane.

Having fun with it now...thanks.

Thank you,

Jerry

#8 Albert_Bouwman

Albert_Bouwman

StarCaptain

• Root Admin
  • 6368 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Have a look at the FSX views asignments. I dont remember the exact key but there is a key to adjust the view angle.
Cheers,

Albert Bouwman
Posted Image

#9 hotelfox

hotelfox

Co-Pilot

• Approved Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Another problem I have is the deck angle is 4-5 degrees below horizon at Vref (or even Vref-10). It should be the opposite...a plus 3-5 degrees.

Question: what & how do I change in the config.file to achieve this?
Jerry

What do you mean with 'deck angle' - I' m not familiar with that expression?! Guess you mean the AOA?
Regards from Bavaria,

hotelfox

#10 Albert_Bouwman

Albert_Bouwman

StarCaptain

• Root Admin
  • 6368 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:01 AM

I think he means the angle of the forward view. For instance a DC3 has a very high angle so you wont see the runway.
That specific angle can be changed by the user in FSX.
Cheers,

Albert Bouwman
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users