• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to show ADF dip (the needle dipping ~10deg towards the down going wing when in a rate 1 turn) on the G1000 ADF, or would it be possible to modify the gauge/code to emulate the dip.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Pete

#2 nick

nick

CLS Member

• Administrators
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:FS, Scientific, everything and FS

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Pete @ May 17 2007, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Is it possible to show ADF dip (the needle dipping ~10deg towards the down going wing when in a rate 1 turn) on the G1000 ADF, or would it be possible to modify the gauge/code to emulate the dip.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Pete

Sorry, I don't understand. Could you explain some more please?
Cheers,

Nick E J Pike
Commercial Level Simulations

#3 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hi Nick,

Its a phenomena you find in a lot of aircraft which affects the ADF needle in a turn. In a turn the ADF needle shows an error I believe its due to the orientation/or shielding of the ADF antena whilst the aircraft is banked. when the aircraft is in a rate 1 turn this affect can be seen by the needle pointing usually 10degrees towards the down going wing (DIP), which becomes apparent when you roll out as the needle will become 10 degrees more/less than the bearing you had seen indicated by the needle.

For Example in a turn to the right the needle would dip towards the right wing so if the needle was pointing at 090 for example the actual bearing would be 080deg( the heading the needle would point to at if you rolled wings level)

The oppersite would be true for a left turn if needle was pointing at 090deg the actual bearing would be 100deg, the needle has dipped 10deg towards the down going wing.

There is an error at any angle of bank but it is only known at a standard rate 1(15-20deg AOB) turn, its generally 10deg.

It would be really helpful if I could replicate this in the sim as it would be helpful for training

I hope this helps

Thanks

Pete

#4 nick

nick

CLS Member

• Administrators
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hi Pete,

a learned pilot frien of mine tells me that this used to happen on the analogue gauges and was probably a mass momentum effecrt on the gauge's needle. The G1000 being all electronic would not have this happen. I've not seen any mention of this in any manuals I have read. Do you fly G1000 for real and see this happen? To be honest, the G1000 is so complex to code, this sort of thing would have to be low prority. I am working on an FSX version at present, and a lot more features are being added, and this is taking all my time at present. I am also working on a *****(to be announced). Not enough hours in the day rolleyes.gif

cheers,
ncik
Cheers,

Nick E J Pike

#5 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi Nick,

As far as i know the G1000 does suffer from this on the DA42, the FNPT2 Sim that I've been using does and I believe the Aircraft does too, I have flown in the back of the aircraft and if I remember rightly it did suffer from dip. I will know better next week as I will be flying the actual aircraft.
I appreciate your time constraints and you must have a fair bit of work on at the moment. If you do get a chance to add these functions I believe you'd have a pretty good market with students training for their Instrument ratings especially within europe where NDB's are still a large part of the training/test and many of the training organisations are now using G1000 equipped DA42's.
It may be worth bearing in mind for the FSX version.

Many thanks

Pete

#6 nick

nick

CLS Member

• Administrators
  • 990 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Pete @ May 26 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Nick,

As far as i know the G1000 does suffer from this on the DA42, the FNPT2 Sim that I've been using does and I believe the Aircraft does too, I have flown in the back of the aircraft and if I remember rightly it did suffer from dip. I will know better next week as I will be flying the actual aircraft.
I appreciate your time constraints and you must have a fair bit of work on at the moment. If you do get a chance to add these functions I believe you'd have a pretty good market with students training for their Instrument ratings especially within europe where NDB's are still a large part of the training/test and many of the training organisations are now using G1000 equipped DA42's.
It may be worth bearing in mind for the FSX version.

Many thanks

Pete

OK. Comments noted.
BTW, Microsoft especially mentions in their eula that FS must not be used for training purposes. It is, after all, only a game (although a bloody good one) laugh.gif
Cheers,

Nick E J Pike

#7 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

rolleyes.gif Of course only to be used as an additional tool to suppliment approved flight training. All be it a great way to practice what you've been taught , and get to grips with the basics at very little cost wink.gif

#8 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

I have now logged a few hrs on the DA42 aircraft and a fair few NDB approaches, it does definately suffer from ADF dip around 15degrees is evident during a rate 1 turn.

Hope this clarifies things

Best regards

Pete

#9 nick

nick

CLS Member

• Administrators
  • 990 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Pete @ Jun 9 2007, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I have now logged a few hrs on the DA42 aircraft and a fair few NDB approaches, it does definately suffer from ADF dip around 15degrees is evident during a rate 1 turn.

Best regards

Pete

Could you explain the dip a little more please. Does this happen always beyond 15 degrees roll? In other words, is the 15 degrees the switch point for dip?
Cheers,

Nick E J Pike

#10 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hi Nick,

The amount of dip is dependent on aircraft type, in the case of the DA42 this is around 15 degrees when in a rate 1 turn (20degrees AOB) dip occurs when ever you are in a banked turn and possibly more or less depending at different angles of bank, however the amount of dip has been measured and will always be 15deg towards the down going wing when in a stable rate 1 turn (20degrees), so basically when assessing a turn onto a bearing on the adf needle it can only be accurately assessed either with the wings level, or in a steady rate one turn (15-20degrees depending on aircraft speed).

A ball park figure for most aircraft is around 10 degrees of dip, although I believe it is affected by the airframe design and the materials the airframe is constructed from .

(for simplicity you could probably assume anything beyond 5 degress AOB would give a specified amount of dip)

Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)